I'm an associate professor in the Computer Science Department of the Universidad de Chile, and researcher at the Millenium Institute Foundational Research on Data.
I'm currently Co-Chair for The Web Conference 2021 Track on Web Mining and Usability, Co-Chair for the SIGIR 2020 Doctoral Consortium and DEI co-chair for SIGIR.
My research is focused in the areas of Data Mining/Data Science, Social Networks and Information Retrieval on the Web.
Formerly, I was a researcher at Yahoo! Labs.
I have a PhD in Informatics and Digital Communications from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, Spain.
Contact: bpoblete @ uchile . cl
- Henry Rosales-Méndez, Aidan Hogan and Barbara Poblete. "Fine-Grained Evaluation for Entity Linking ". In the Proceedings of the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing and International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (EMNLP–IJCNLP), Hong Kong, China, November 3–7, 2019.
- A. Arango, J. Pérez, B. Poblete. Hate Speech is Not as Easy as You May Think: A Closer Look at Model Validation. In proceedings of 42nd International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval. July 21-25, 2019 (Paris, France).
- B. Poblete, J. Maldonado, J. Guzmán, F. Tobar: Robust Detection of Extreme Events Using Twitter: Worldwide Earthquake Monitoring. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (available online in August 2018).
- M. Mendoza, B. Poblete, I. Valderrama: Nowcasting earthquake damages with Twitter. EPJ Data Science. January 2019.
- Henry Rosales-Méndez, Aidan Hogan and Barbara Poblete. "VoxEL: A Benchmark Dataset for Multilingual Entity Linking ". In the Proceedings of the 17th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Monterey, USA, October 8–12, 2018 (Resources track).
- J. Herrera, D. Parra, B. Poblete: Learning to Leverage Microblog Information for QA Retrieval. In Proceedings of the 40th European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2018). March 26-19, 2018. Grenoble, France.
- V. Peña-Araya; M. Quezada; B. Poblete; D. Parra: Gaining Historical and International Relations Insights from Social Media Spatio-Temporal Real-World News Analysis using Twitter. EPJ Data Science
- Information Credibility on Twitter. C. Castillo, M. Mendoza, B. Poblete. Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on World Wide Web, 675-684.
Recent Webinars and Interviews
Cátedra Introducción al Manejo de Datos
U. La Serena
Webinar Transparencia de Datos del COVID19
Análisis de datos del Covid19 en Chile
Webinar Datos del Covid19